FAQs About Graphic Designers
There is a wide array of graphic designers, each one unique in the portfolio and services. Those who have worked with a lot of companies, businesses, and individuals have a wide and varied portfolio. In Los Angeles, the graphic designers working in the entertainment industry are a league of their own because they develop unique skills usually related to animations and motion graphics. Much of the portfolio of an employed or freelance graphic designer will depend on the organizations she chooses to work for.
Below are some frequently asked questions and some contain information that I think is important to impart to anyone who is interested in becoming a graphic designer or interested in hiring one, whether freelance or not. These questions and answers can help you understand why graphic designers can vary so much, and especially as it pertains to Los Angeles, California.
Is being a graphic designer in Los Angeles a good career?
Having a successful career as a graphic designer in Los Angeles depends on many factors. Some of the factors are your portfolio, businesses you work for whether as a freelancer or employee and like anything else, a passion and enjoyment for art, design, and communications.
Where do graphic designers work?
Graphic designers can work for just about any business or organization as it benefits every one of them to excel in their communications materials and brand. Most graphic designers in Los Angeles work for businesses, many of them related to the film and entertainment industry. Though, there are a wide variety of Los Angeles businesses, churches, and organizations that hire graphic designers.
Do graphic Designers make logos?
Many graphic designers make logos, but not all. Many specialize in a particular area because they chose too. For instance, some started off designing t-shirts and that’s all the experience they have and they do well in that field. Some graphic designers are great illustrators and artists and thus start working as a cartoon artist or creating background scenes for graphic animations and do well in that industry.
What is the job outlook for a graphic designer in Los Angeles?
According to government statistics, the projected growth rate for graphic designers is below average at 3%. At the time of this writing, there were only 188 job openings for graphic designers in the Los Angeles’ zip code with the highest population. However, don’t let that deter you, you just have to be well prepared for stiff competition and be sure to have a great portfolio.
Which industries do Los Angeles graphic designers work in most?
A lot of Los Angeles graphic designers work in the movie, entertainment, and digital media industries. The reason being is that all of these industries need and use graphic designers either as employees or freelancers every day. Graphics have to be made for movies, sitcoms, commercials, albums, news, print, social media and so much more. Aside from the obvious designs made for the public, a lot of these companies utilize graphic designers for internal communications, as well.
What do graphic designers do in video games?
Graphic designers create the layout and graphics for the interface of a game. Other types of graphic designers may create graphics, scenes, icons, or other types of elements within the game itself. More than likely, a company will utilize different graphic designers and they all work on the game at the same time, hoping to accomplish by a deadline.
Do graphic designers need to know how to draw?
It is certainly helpful for a graphic designer to know how to draw in order to create custom designs and illustrations. It is expected from a graphic designer to be creative and actually create original work if you want to work for top companies and organizations. Knowing how to draw is also helpful because it’s much easier and faster not just in creating but also to create in the style that you want.
What is the salary of a graphic designer in Los Angeles?
The salary a graphic designer in Los Angeles makes depends much on the talent and experience, and place of work. If the graphic designer does freelance work then other factors come into play, such as business skills and marketing because a freelance designer is in fact, running a business. With no experience, an employed graphic designer will range 32k to 50k in Los Angeles. The top 10% of graphic designers make 80k, this salary is of graphic designer with many years of experience and probably has some management skills under his belt. This salary is typical of a graphic designer who has been promoted to Art Director or Creative Director and manages other graphic designers. An art, user experience, or creative director requires more skills than just being a graphic designer.
Is it true the city of Los Angeles placed an ugly ad to attract graphic designers?
Yes, the city of Los Angeles placed an ad that looked like it was created by a child or someone who decided to become a graphic designer 5 minutes before creating the ad. The ad was posted in 2018 and became a viral firestorm within the design community because of its tongue-in-cheek and humorous nature.
In Los Angeles, what are the educational requirements for a graphic designer?
Most businesses want a graphic designer with a bachelor’s degree and advanced knowledge of software. Proof of technical training may also be a requisite if you don’t have a portfolio.
Is there a Los Angeles guild for graphic designers?
I know of a few guilds in Los Angeles for graphic designers. One is the Graphic Artists guild which has a “West Region” that includes California. Many guilds are national and are subdivided into smaller areas. There is also the Greater Los Angeles Graphic Designers Guild, which doesn’t seem to require a membership fee.
Are there associations in Los Angeles for graphic designers?
The most popular association for graphic design is by far AIGA Los Angeles, which is a subdivision of the national AIGA. This association has everything you can expect from an association, including events, workshops and other educational happenings, interviews, and many ways to connect with other graphic designers who live and work in Los Angeles, California.
Are graphic designers in Los Angeles in demand?
Yes, you only have to look at job postings to see that graphic designers in Los Angeles are in demand. However, what we don’t know is how many people apply for these jobs. The need for graphic designers will increase, but the demand for specific skills in different industries varies. In the movie and streaming media industries there is high demand for skills in animated graphics. This requires advanced knowledge in specialized software most likely acquired through formal training.
Can a graphic designer become a UX designer?
Yes, a graphic designer can become a UX designer which is a lucrative career. UX designers are also in high demand. Transitioning from a graphic designer to a UX designer is no easy task but can be done with some planning and effort. The easiest method is to simply take some classes on UX design and related courses.
Do graphic designers code?
Will graphic designers become obsolete?
In my opinion, graphic designers will never become obsolete. Graphic designers have complex thoughts and must innovate when creating a design; they must think of several different thought processes in different directions at the same time, in some instances. Computers do what they are told; they don’t invent. Graphic design requires creativity and innovation.
Which graphic designer is best?
I am. Of course, every graphic designer will tell you they are. What matters is who you think is the best graphic designer. You make that decision by looking at someone’s portfolio and experience if you’re looking to hire.
Why is a graphic designer important?
A graphic designer is important to society because they make things, events, and time move faster by improving communications. Graphic designers make life easier, make businesses more successful, and advance the missions of organizations by communicating ideals, emotions, information, and ways of doing that words alone cannot accomplish in seconds.
Do graphic designers work alone?
Freelance graphic designers are more likely to work alone, though when working on large projects may work with copywriters or others. Employed graphic designers working for small businesses are more likely to also work on graphic designs alone but with guidance on direction. Employed graphic designers working for large organizations or businesses are more likely to work as part of a team.
What does the career path of a graphic designer in Los Angeles look like?
A graphic designer may start as an intern or junior graphic designer. From there it can go in so many different directions depending on the experience you gain, the companies you work for and the type of work under your belt.
Is it a tough market in Los Angeles for graphic designers?
I believe it is, especially for those looking to break into the field because a lot is expected from a graphic designer. Not only do you have to have artistic talent, but you need some auxiliary knowledge, which can be gained from a formal education or experience working with the right people.
Do you need a degree to become a graphic designer?
Generally speaking, you need a bachelor’s degree. Most companies look for a degree in Arts & Sciences, marketing or related field. A few want a degree specifically to graphic design which is not usually offered at most big universities or colleges. Though they usually have some time of design degree or specialization.
As a graphic designer in Los Angeles, is editing photos commonplace?
If you are not working on a team, but solo, then it would greatly benefit a graphic designer in Los Angeles to edit photos. If you work in the entertainment industry, they usually have photo editors that are part of the team. Each company is different but it will always benefit the designer to have that know-how.
In Los Angeles, what do small to mid-size businesses expect from a graphic designer?
In Los Angeles, businesses have higher expectations from a graphic designer because of the deep knowledge and broadness of the creative industries here.
Do graphic designers travel?
No most graphic designers do not travel, in Los Angeles. Freelance graphic designers may travel within the city of Los Angeles to meet clients. For freelancers, video and audio calls suffice for meetings with clients outside of Los Angeles, California.
What kinds of skills are hot and highly in demand for a graphic designer in Los Angeles?
Without a doubt, in Los Angeles, animations and 3D graphics are in very high demand and very few people know how to do this kind of work.
What is the rate for a graphic designer in Los Angeles?
The rate of a graphic designer in Los Angeles varies widely depending on many factors such as experience, skill level, industry, and innate artistic ability.
For an employed graphic designer, that is, one that is an actual employee working for a company and not a freelancer, the average salary for a graphic designer in Los Angeles as of right now is around $50,000 per year, with entry-level positions paying $26,000 per year at the low end and senior-level positions paying over $65,000 per year. However, to be paid over $65,000 a year by a company is very few and far between as most companies would rather hire an entry level designer because it’s cheaper and saves them money. Entry-level designers are eager to work and thus will accept the low pay at virtually any company just to gain some experience. Many times, these entry-level graphic designers are not given full-time work and work under 40 hours per week. Unfortunately, this results in these well-educated graphic design workers being paid less than the yearly salary of a minimum wage full-time worker. These less than glamourous circumstances are a turn-off for many looking to get in the field.
It’s important to note that freelance or contract graphic designers charge hourly rates or a flat fee per project, which can also vary depending on the factors mentioned above. Hourly rates for graphic designers in Los Angeles typically range from around $20 to $150 per hour, again depending on experience, industry, and innate artistic ability. Ultimately, the best way to determine the rate for a graphic designer in Los Angeles is to find one in which you really love their work and simply ask.
Generally speaking, graphic designers that charge flat fees usually work out better for the client because a client will know up-front how much the cost will be. In most instances, a client will be left in the dark how much the total cost will be when they pay the designer per hour.
Graphic design is an art and the best designers have expertise in technical execution and are extremely creative in artistic vision and expressing that in a way that is innovative and influential. This graphic designer is in high demand because of her established reputation in creating brands, communications, graphics and marketing designs that captivate and affect audiences.
Why are some graphic designers better than others?
There are several reasons why some graphic designers are considered to be better than others:
1. Skill level: Like any profession, graphic design requires a certain level of skill and expertise. Some graphic designers may have more experience or be better trained in certain areas, such as typography, color theory, or layout design. This can lead to a higher quality of work and more effective designs.
2. Creativity: Graphic design is an inherently creative field, and some designers may have a more natural aptitude for generating innovative and compelling ideas. These designers may be better able to conceptualize and execute designs that stand out and capture attention.
3. Attention to detail: Graphic design often requires a high degree of precision and attention to detail. A designer who is meticulous and careful in their work may be able to produce designs that are more polished and professional-looking.
4. Experience: Graphic designers who have worked on a wide range of projects and for a variety of clients may have a broader perspective and a deeper understanding of the design process. This can help them create more effective and successful designs.
5. Communication skills: Effective communication is a crucial part of the design process. Graphic designers who are able to communicate clearly and effectively with clients and team members may be better able to understand and meet project goals and objectives.
Overall, the best graphic designers are those who possess a combination of technical skill, creativity, attention to detail, experience, and strong communication skills.
Is it worth it to hire a graphic designer?
Yes, it can be very much worth it to hire a graphic designer, especially if you are looking to create professional, high-quality designs for your business or personal projects.
Here are just a few reasons why hiring a top graphic designer beneficial:
1. Professional-quality designs: the best graphic designers have the training, expertise, and artistic skill needed to create designs that are visually appealing and effective. They create designs tailored to your needs, whether you need a logo, website design, brochure, or any other type of graphic design.
2. Save time and resources: Designing high-quality graphic designs, custom fonts for logos or branding, photo-editing and other stuff they do can be time-consuming and require a range of specialized skills. By hiring a graphic designer, you can save time and resources that would be required to design the graphics yourself. And of course, you’ll get a professional and effective design; do not underestimate the power of great graphic design. It’s how great companies are made.
3. Increased brand recognition: A skilled graphic designer creates designs effectively communicating your brand message to build brand recognition. This makes you stand out from your competitors, builds a stronger brand image, and fosters memory retention of your product, service, event or goal.
4. Consistency across all marketing materials: A graphic designer ensures your branding is consistent across all marketing materials and communications, from your website to your print materials and all customer or business-to-business touchpoints. This creates a cohesive brand image and strengthens brand recognition.
Overall, hiring a graphic designer can be a smart investment in your business or personal projects. The cost of hiring a graphic designer can vary depending on factors such as the scope of the project, the experience of the designer, and the complexity of the design work. However, the benefits of professional-quality designs and increased brand recognition can make the investment worthwhile in the long run.
How much does it cost to hire a graphic designer?
The cost of hiring a graphic designer can vary widely depending on several factors such as the designer’s experience, the scope of the project, and the complexity of the project.
Here are a few general guidelines for the cost of hiring a graphic designer:
1. Hourly rate: Many graphic designers charge by the hour, and hourly rates can range from $20 to $150 or more per hour, depending on the designer’s experience and skill.
2. Flat project fee: A few graphic designers charge a flat fee per project. This can vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project. A simple design may cost a few hundred dollars and a very complex design such as a complex website with ecommerce, live social media feeds, online appointment booking and payments, membership logins, and lots of bells and whistles can cost thousands of dollars. A flat fee is really just the estimate of time the graphic designer thinks it will take. Though in all honesty, a flat fee usually works out better for the client in 99% of the cases because a graphic designer always thinks she can work faster than what she actually does.
3. Retainer fee: Some graphic designers may offer a retainer fee for ongoing design work. This can be beneficial for businesses or individuals who need a steady stream of design work. This can be great for a business who needs designs on a monthly basis as the designer will learn how to work best with the client, and over time will learn what the client’s preferences are and overall brand look.
It’s important to note that the cost of hiring a graphic designer can also depend on the type of project and the level of experience and skill required. For example, a highly specialized project such as medical illustration or 3D rendering may require a designer with specialized knowledge and skills, which can increase the cost of hiring a designer.
Ultimately, it’s important to discuss your project with the graphic designer to get a better understanding of the costs involved. You should also consider the value that a skilled graphic designer can bring to your project in terms of professional-quality designs and increased brand recognition and effective communication and marketing and branding.
What are the 8 types of graphic design?
There are many different types of graphic design, but here are eight common categories:
1. Branding: Branding design involves creating the visual identity of a company or product, including logo design, color schemes, typography, and other visual elements.
2. Advertising: Advertising design includes creating visual materials for print or digital ads, such as billboards, posters, social media ads, or website banner ads.
3. Publication: Publication design involves creating layouts and graphics for books, magazines, newspapers, and other publications.
4. Packaging: Packaging design includes creating the visual design for product packaging, such as boxes, bags, and containers.
5. Environmental: Environmental design involves creating graphics for physical spaces, such as signage, displays, and exhibits.
6. Web and App: Web and app design involves creating visual designs for websites, mobile apps, and other digital interfaces.
7. Motion: Motion design involves creating visual graphics for video or animation, including titles, lower thirds, and other on-screen graphics.
8. Illustration: Illustration design involves creating original artwork for use in various design projects, such as editorial illustrations, book covers, or product packaging.
It’s worth noting that some graphic designers may specialize in only one area, some in more than one area, depending on their interests, experience and expertise. A select few have done it all just because they’re highly sought out for because of their high artistic qualities, which everyone wants.
How do I find a great graphic designer?
Finding a good graphic designer can be a bit daunting, but here are some tips that can help:
Look at the portfolio: A graphic designer’s portfolio is a great way to see their previous work and get an idea of their artistic ability and expertise. If you cannot view the graphic designer’s portfolio that may be a huge red flag. You must be able to view some past work to gauge skill and ability. Some graphic designers will only create in one style, and if that particular style matches exactly what you want then you’ve found your match. For others, who want something unique, look for a portfolio that shows a variety of graphic design projects and styles.
Search online: You can google for graphic designers’ portfolios online by just searching “graphic designer portfolios Los Angeles” or “graphic designer portfolios [your city]”.
Keep in mind that the graphic designer’s website is also a reflection of their skill and ability. It takes a wide range of skills to put together and create a website that wows, including coding skills, writing, organization, graphic design, photo-editing and so much more. A great graphic designer will also have a great website because a graphic designer should be able to promote herself or himself in the best light possible and showcase their abilities in an easily accessible manner to everyone.
Contact the graphic designer: Once you have found a website and portfolio that impressed you, contact the graphic designer. The best way is to simply call the graphic designer. You can get a free consultation over a phone call, zoom video call or in person. During the consultation, you can discuss what you would like, share information about your business, organization, event or other design goal.
Consider their communication skills: A good graphic designer has strong communication skills and is able to understand and interpret your needs.
In sum, check the portfolio and have a conversation with her. You can find a great graphic designer who will give you the best!
I hope this information was helpful. Browse the highlighted works of this graphic designer in Los Angeles. Or view this graphic designer’s list of services. If you are interested in hiring Sturling, don’t hesitate to call 818-964-0967